Dr. Keith Berend, a native of Columbus, Ohio, received his undergraduate degree from Florida Southern College. He completed his medical doctorate and orthopaedic residency at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina.
While in training, he received several major awards for his research work including:
- Clinical Orthopaedic Society Resident/Fellow Research Award.
- The Eastern Orthopaedic Association Resident Research Award.
- The American Orthopaedic Association – Zimmer Annual Travel Resident Research Award.
- Duke University’s Division of Orthopaedics Annual Award for Outstanding Research.
- International College of Surgeons Research Scholarship.
Dr. Berend completed a fellowship in Adult Reconstruction of the Hip and Knee at Joint Implant Surgeons, Inc., with Thomas H. Mallory, MD, and Adolph V. Lombardi, Jr., MD. He joined that practice in 2003 and was a founding physician of New Albany Surgical Hospital. Dr. Berend was a Hip Society-British Hip Society Traveling Fellow in 2004 and a John N. Insall Knee Society Traveling Fellow in 2005.
He is a member of The Knee Society, The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, The International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, The Piedmont Orthopedic Society, The Ohio Orthopaedic Society, and The Columbus Medical Association.